As with every beauty style, there are certain basic principles that need to be followed. Similarly, in choosing nail polish colors, certain considerations should be taken into account. Nail polish colors should flatter, or at least complement with the wearer’s skin tone. Here is a guide on how to choose nail polish colors according to one’s skin tone.
Dark Skin Tone
- Beautiful dark skin tones will be more emphasized with dark nail polish colors. chocolate brown, red or a nice burgundy, and dark green matches the rich color of women with a dark complexion.
- Gold also looks best on dark complexion. A stylish look for dark-skinned women can be easily pulled off with a gold nail polish.
- However, tanned skin can be accentuated with lighter shades. Chocolate and light brown as well as light blue, pink, and purple may work for tan complexion. And since this is a sun kissed color, gold should be avoided as this will completely blend into the overall skin color and it will no longer be visible. The basic principle for tan complexion is choosing colors on the warm side of the color chart.
- Yellow-based nail polish colors are highly recommended to women with dark complexion.
Medium Skin Tone
- Being the color in-between, this skin tone can wear most shades
- Nail arts look stylish on medium skin tones since the different prints and colors blends well with the color of the skin. Nail art designs that use metallic shades are recommended. Glitter nail polish, on the other hand, adds a tanned look to medium skin tones.
- Vibrant hues such as pink, blue, yellow, or orange will look impressive on a medium skin tone. Bright shades are the perfect nail polish colors for women with medium-neutral skin tone.
- Silver and the metallic version of light blue emphasize the neutral color of such complexion.
- Women with neutral skin tone may want to avoid nail polish in colors red, dark purple, and navy blue.
Fair Skin Tone
- Women with light or fair skin tone appear to be the luckiest since they can apply most colors to their nails. However, it can be overwhelming for some and they forget that fair-skinned women still do differ in shade and undertone. Too pale skin may want to stay away from extremely dark colors as such nail polish colors will look to eye-popping.
- The best shades that flatter fair skin tone are pink in bright or soft shade, purple in light to medium shade, and red.
- For a healthy, rosy look, nail polish in shades of pink is advisable.
- Blue-based nail polish is mostly recommended to fair skinned people.
The general rule in matching skin tone to nail polish colors is this simple: light to light and dark to dark. Light skin will look best on light to medium nail polish color while dark skin will look better on medium to deep dark nail polish color.